Mājas lapas saturs ir Strenču novada domes īpašums.
Materiālu izmantošana iespējama ar atsauci un pilnā apjomā nevis fragmentāri.
Strenču novada pašvaldība

ENG | LV |


 
 

Sights of Cultural History

Strenči Evangelical Lutheran Church
The Strenči Evangelical Lutheran Church was built and consecrated in 1907. It was a wooden building with 230 seats and with some features of art nouveau that were unusual at that time. The church organ was bought in Germany in 1907. The church bell was installed in December of 1913. During the First World War the church was damaged.

In 1936, the inside of the church was redecorated with national patterns and Christian symbols. At that time the present altar and altar windows with two-coloured stained glass were made (drawings by the artist J. Priedītis, the altar and windows were made by R. Jansons).  In 1937, a new fireproof tower was built and the church was plastered and painted (a project by the architect F.Skujiņš?). 
In 1959, the parish obtained the altar painting “Christ and Peter on the Sea” by Indriķis Zeberiņš.

The station of the voluntary firemen society
In 1908 a voluntary firemen society was established in Strenči community. The society not only helped to extinguish fires, but also promoted development of culture and education in Strenči. The society supported establishment of the first school – the Strenči Elementary School, which was opened in 1909. In 1910, they constructed a fire brigade station. It is still used for the same purpose – it houses the Strenči brigade of the Valka Fire and Rescue Service. The tower is used to dry fire hoses.

The verst post (the 19th century)
The verst post is situated next to the old cemetery. It is a conical granite post used at the end of the 19th century for showing distances and bordering roads.

The bridge over the Gauja at Strenči
It is one of the oldest reinforced concrete bridges in the Baltic states. The engineer Verner supervised the construction of the bridge according to his own project. The construction was completed in the autumn of 1909.

During the First World War the middle pier of the bridge was blown up; it was renovated in 1921 - 1922.

In the spring of 1929, during the spring flood, the Gauja River washed out the right bank and the bridge cone. The bridge was widened by building an additional pier.  The length of the bridge is 97.5m, the width - 4,5m.

The sculpture “Rafter”
The sculpture was erected in remembrance of the Gauja rafters and their trade that was popular in the area.

The fortification of the right bank of the Gauja
The fortification was constructed in the 20-ies of the 20th century to protect the town from spring flood and the riverbanks from washing out.

The old oak
There used to be a mark on its bark showing a critical level when water could overflow the Trikāta street.

The open-air theatre – on the bank of Gauja

Strenči Psycho - Neurological Hospital
The construction of the hospital was started in 1904 under the guidance of the architect Augusts Rainbergs. Several houses for patients and a special building for doctors were placed in a vast territory. A 35 m high chimney – water tower, overlooked the hospital area; the chimney is the only building of such a type in Latvia. The hospital with places for 180 patients was opened in 1907.

According to an ancient tradition, the hospital houses were named after their first patients. So, there is “Anna’s House’, “Maria’s House” and “Osvalds’ House”. When the architect A. Rainbergs died one of the houses was named after him - ”Augusts’ House”.

During the World War II, the psycho-neurological hospital was closed; instead there was a war hospital and a spy school for German soldiers. In the forest close to the hospital 294 patients were shot.

After the war the hospital renewed its work. In the 1950-ies and 1980-ies the hospital was reconstructed and extended.

Reconstruction and modernization works are carried out also today. Modern treatment methods are combined with alternative services, such as music and movement therapy and ergo therapy. In 2004 a patients club was established. The staff of the hospital are looking forward to the 100th anniversary of the hospital and they do their best to improve quality of patients’ life.

Strenči Arboretum
State Joint-Stock Company “Latvijas Valsts meži”
The area of the Strenči Arboretum occupies 47 ha and they grow plants of the following trees: pine, spruce, birch and black alder, as well as ornamental trees and bushes. Tree plants for forests are grown both in containers and with naked roots. Ornamental plants are especially cold resistant.

The Strenči Arboretum offers the following:

  • tree plants for renovation of forest
  • qualitative and cold resistant plants of ornamental trees and bushes
  • possibility to get acquainted with different plant species,
  • possibility to observe process of plant growing

More information and visits to be registered: +371 9476556 Ms Laima Zvejniece or +371 9395418 Mr. Jānis Zvejnieks.